I haven’t blogged about cooking or shared a recipe in a long time, but today I must because I made the tastiest muffins evah! and had to share…
I’m like all, “Uh, huh. What’s so glorious about them?” Then I scanned the list of ingredients, already editing to my preferences and was surprised to find they did sound rather glorious. Giving full props to the manufacturer of said flour, here is the recipe with my twist:
Carol’s Reduced Fat GLORIOUS MUFFINS
1/3 cup vegetable oil (I use Canola), plus enough applesauce to make 3/4 cup total
1/4 cup milk, or substitute Nestle’s Fat Free Italian Sweet Cream Coffee Mate®
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups Gold Medal® unbleached flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground Saigon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups shredded carrots (2 to 3 medium)
1 cup shredded peeled Granny Smith apple
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup chopped dates
3/4 cup sliced almonds, divided
1. Heat your oven to 350ºF. Spray muffin tins with Baker’s Joy® or use paper baking cups.
2. Shred carrots, set aside
3. Core and shred apple, set aside
4. In large bowl, beat eggs, oil, applesauce, milk (or Coffee Mate®) and vanilla with wire whisk until well blended. Add flour, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in carrots, apple, coconut, dates and 1/2 cup of the almonds.
3. Spoon batter into muffin cups, filling about 3/4 full. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup almonds over batter.
4. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool a few minutes before removing from tins. Serve warm.
* 1/2 cup Egg substitute can be used instead of whole eggs, to further reduce fat content, if desired.
Yield: 18 muffins.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Increase oven temp to 375ºF; use paper baking cups. Add 1/4 cup flour to above recipe. Reduce regular baking time by 2 minutes.
(Adapted from General Mills Glorious Morning Muffins recipe)
©2011 Carol Burnside